Welcome to Week 2 of our “How to Serve” series! Today I am going to cover how to serve your community. I chose this topic for today, because today very is special for our country. It is the anniversary of 9/11. For those of you who don’t know what is, I am going to give you a quick history lesson.
It all happened on September 11, 2001. It was an ordinary day, people were going about their daily lives. Four airplanes left en route to California. All of the flights seamed normal. They had mostly normal passengers and nothing was suspected. To everyone’s surprise, each of the 4 planes had terrorists on board. They highjacked all 4 planes to try to cause destruction. They caused one plane to crash into the Pentagon. They tried to get another plane to crash into Washington D.C. but they failed and crashed into a field. The other 2 planes flew into the Twin Towers in New York. The ones that flew into the Twin Towers were the most destructive. The first of the 2 planes crashed into the North Twin Tower. It was devastating. The story was immediately broadcasted over all news stations nationwide. A few minutes later, the second planet crashed into the South Twin Tower. Thousands of people died and others were trapped in the destroyed buildings. First Responders pour onto the scene. They rescued many people, and a few First Responder’s even gave up their lives to save strangers they never knew.
Sad story, isn’t it? As you read this list, think of all the people that have, or are willing to, help you, and you don’t even know them!
1. Take cookies to Police, EMS, Firefighters, etc.
2. Do yard work for your neighbors.
3. Make cards for doctors and nurses.
4. Take food to homeless shelters and food banks.
5. Volunteer at your local library, nonprofits, pet shelters, homeless shelter, and/or nursing homes.
6. Go visit an elderly neighbor.
7. Get a group of friends together to “window visit” people in nursing homes.
8. Help tutor younger kids.
9. Hold a bake sale to raise money for a missionary, nonprofit, or cause of your choice.
10. Help your church with yard work.
Did you find anything in this list you would like to do? Try getting a group of friends together to help you!